FREEZER MEAL SECRETS TO SUCCESS
DIY freezer-to-slow cooker meals save time and money. There’s no precooking so it’s easy to take advantage of BJ’s bulk savings and prep several weeks’ worth of meals in an afternoon. Use these tips to adapt our recipes (like Chef Glenn Lyman’s exclusive recipe for Panama Pork Stew below) or use some of your own.
- Using separate knives and cutting boards for meats and vegetables, chop all of the ingredients into uniform pieces so they cook evenly.
- Label resealable, 1-gal. freezer bags with the name of the dish, date and cooking directions.
- Place all ingredients (except liquids such as broth and water) into bags, adding meat first so it is at the top of the slow cooker when you empty the bag into the pot. Freeze right away.
- To cook, add frozen ingredients to the slow cooker along with any liquids. (Check the recipe.)
- Increase cooking time 30 min. to 2 hours, depending on whether meat is whole or chopped. Use a meat thermometer to test for doneness. (Follow the FDA Safe Handling Guidelines.)