We know how much effort you put into making your house a home, and at BJ's it's our mission to make that task as simple (and affordable) as we can. We're here to arm you with everything from recipes and holiday hosting ideas to cleaning hacks and savings tips.
How does Meal Planner work? Learn More
Turkey and Cranberry Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
What You Need:
2 Large Sweet Potatoes
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1 Onion, chopped
1 cup Fresh cranberry sauce (prepared according to package directions)
1 cup frozen green beans
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
2 cups Chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully pierce potatoes 3-4 times with a fork and bake until soft, about 45 minutes. Let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Scoop flesh into mixing bowl. Add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth and combined. Set potato mixture aside.
For the filling:
- Season the turkey with salt and pepper.
- Combine the ground turkey and onion in a skillet, coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat and break up with a wooden spoon or potato masher until browned and cooked through. Transfer mixture to a strainer and set aside.
- Using the same pan, lower heat to medium and add butter to melt. Add flour stirring continuously until combined and lightly browning, about 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Slowly add chicken broth whisking well to combine. Bring to a simmer stirring often (you will see it bubbling and starting to thicken), about 5-7 minutes.
- Add frozen green beans and cranberry sauce, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add meat mixture to a 1 1/2 quart casserole or deep dish pie plate prepared with cooking spray.
- Top with dollops of the potato mixture and carefully spread to cover
- Bake uncovered on top rack of 400 degree oven 30-35 minutes until lightly browned on top. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
About Chef Glenn
In his previous career as a highly successful corporate salesman, Glenn turned to cooking as a way to relax. What was a sideline passion developed into a full-blown career providing personal chef services to NBA Champion LeBron James. Not bad for a self-taught cook! Today, Chef Glenn creates meal plans for a roster of pro-athlete clients that includes Pro Bowl Wide Receiver Steve Smith, NASCAR Cup Champion Jeff Gordon, and Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte. He is passionate about empowering people to create great-tasting, homestyle meals in a healthful way for the whole family to enjoy.